Friday, May 11, 2012

Josh Beckett Booed Off the Field at Fenway

Yesterday I posted a tidbit about Bobby Valentine not being all that happy with Josh Beckett playing a few rounds of golf.  Beckett was supposedly recovering from a lat-injury which caused him to miss Thursday's scheduled start.

Well last night Beckett's performance, a line of 2.1 innings, giving up seven runs, walking two and striking another two out, was far from decent. That line reads just as ugly as it was to type. Beckett was booed off the field by the Fenway faithful, NESN did a wonderful job of cutting away on his departure from the mound.

Not surprisingly the press asked him about the golf between starts despite the possibility of having a back injury. "I spend my off days the way I want to spend them," Beckett said. "My off day is my off day. We get 18 off days a year. I think we deserve a little bit of time to ourselves."

Beckett was then asked about being booed by the Fenway faithful. "It was directed at me. I pitched like shit. That's what happens. Smart fans."

Beckett was definitely defensive in his first response, and I'm not quite sure if I want to call his second quote about being booed sarcastic. Either way I believe this situation is more about being responsible and using common sense, not about off days and playing golf.

Considering what happened last season to the Red Sox, with much if not all of it involving Beckett, one would think he would make better decisions this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment